Well, it’s been a little while since we’ve sent something out into the world via this site. For now, let’s do a mini recap of the past few months.
1. SHEER Change 2011 happened! It was a ball! Many of you came out to celebrate our existence and thank some Chicago activists for doing what they do. Here is a photo:
2. SHEER presented at AASECT’s national conference: SexCon. A couple of our people presented on how hot sex can prevent rape and it was very well recieved! The participants were eager for more!
3. Our most recent collective meeting fostered some space for dialogue around rape culture. We passed around a list to share ways we can fight rape culture and Clarisse Thorne posted it to her blog! There are tons of comments on the post! Read here.
4. SHEER was accepted as a presenter at SisterSong 2011! Our people planned to present on pro-consent education, but it looks like our presence may be as part of a dialogue pannel or tabling instead… we’ll keep ya posted.
5. We’ve conducted several workshops at sexual assault crisis intervention trainings & in a high school. Some topics include: how hot sex can prevent rape, sex positive anti rape work, supporting survivors in the sex trade spectrum, and giving & getting what we want.
6. Keep your eyes peeled on Windy City Times, as one of our members did an interview with them about SHEER! She talked about our roots and what we’ve done thus far.
7. And finally, we were present at SlutWalk Chicago! One of our members spoke during the speakers series about consent! She talked about how consent is personal and active, and SlutWalk participants enthusastically received her words.
Well folks, that’s about it for now. If you’d like to get involved, please email email@example.com & come out to our next collective meeting on Monday, June 27th from 7 – 9pm. We’ll spend some time on an educational piece and planning our next action steps!